197. Red Beard
A testament to the goodness of humankind, Akira Kurosawa's Red Beard Chronicles the tumultuous relationship between an arrogant young doctor and a compassionate clinic director. Toshiro Mifune, in his last role for Kurosawa, gives a powerhouse performance as the dignified director who teaches his embittered intern to appreciate the lives of his destitut patients. Perfectly capturing the look and feel of 19th-century Japan, Kurosawa weaves a fascinating tapestry of time, place, and emotion.
198. Planetes (2 Disc Special Edition) - Vol. 1
192. Prince's First Love - volume 5 (too bad the endings for most Korean Dramas are so predictable, I really have no desire to finish it)
From Back Cover of the DVD: Sanjuro, a wandering samurai enters a rural town in nineteenth century Japan. After learning from the innkeeper that the town is divided between two gangsters, he plays one side off against the other. His efforts are complicated by the arrival of the wily Unosuke, the son of one of the gangsters, who owns a revolver. Unosuke has Sanjuro beaten after he reunites an abducted woman with her husband and son, then massacres his father's opponents. During the slaughter, the samurai escapes with the help of the inkeeper; but while recuperating at a nearby temple, he learns of innkeepers's abduction by Unosuke, and returns to the town to confront him
196. Planetes - Disc. 1
191. Prince's First Love (Hwangt'aeja ui ch otsarang)- Disc 4
190. Theater of Blood
We have a lot of library videos to catch up on. Just watched a 189. Travel Guide DVD: Tokyo, now it is off to do some watching so I can return some items to the library tomorrow
Extremely Talented. Extremely Thought Provoking. Will be Extremely Missed
187. Justice League: The New Frontier
188. A Prince's First Love (Disc 2) - episodes 4-6
186. Tsubasa (Reservoir Chronicle) - Vol. 3 Spectres of Legend
We watched more of 185. THE WORLD HERITAGE series. This time it was Vol. 6 and the focus was Florence and the Vatican
182. The Princess and the Goblin
183. End of the Spear
184. Tsubasa (Reservoir Chronicle) #1: Gathering of Fates
180. A Prince's First Love (Disc 1) - episodes 1 - 3
181. Samurai 7 (finally finished up the disc we borrowed)
179. Dragonball GT: The Lost Episodes (1) Reaction
178. A World Without Thieves (Andy Lau, Rene Liu)
We were fortunate to watch a Kabuki DVD (from Little Tokyo Branch Library). The one we watched was 177. Sukeroku Yukari no Edozakura
The library has definitely been a friend to us this week. We've checked out a lot of DVDs. From 174. Nature Big Cats (Double Program) to 175. King of Beggars starring Stephen Chiau. We've also watched
176. Norman Rockwell: Painting America (An American Masters Production)
This weekend we were able to finish the Yankee Bokou ni Kaeru series and enjoyed it. Also looked at part of The World Heritage series 172. Vol. 8: Fontainebleau, Tikal and 173. Palenque, Copan
171. Yankee Bokou ni Kaeru (Yankee back to school) w/ Takenouchi Yutaka (series)
Synopsis (via Drama Wiki & Back Cover)
In 1988 Hokkaido's Hokusei Yoichi High School became the first high school in Japan to accept students who had previously dropped out of high school from nationwide. Hokkaido Broadcasting (HBC) has been covering this school for 15 years and aired a documentary last spring that caused a stir all over the country. Now TBS in cooperation with HBC will create a drama based on the school.
The drama will follow a former gang member, dropout and graduate of the school who returns as a teacher. We will follow him as he helps graduating students out into the world. The teachers and students will, as you would expect, confront all the issues of youth and society today. At this school, there are no compromises, no lies. This drama will move you as both students and teachers face a variety of issues head on.
This is a moving story that is created by people coming together and learning to believe in each other.
170. Wool 100% a film by mai tominaga
169. The Last of the Blonde Bombshells
It seems that the months fly by so fast. It's June!
166. Sugar & Spice Kuro Kawa No Tec you
167. Sukiyaki Western
168. Tsubasa (Reservoir Chronicle)- Vol. 6: A Wish Upon Waking